Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Biking in Seattle - What to Watch Out For

Biking in Seattle - What to Watch Out For

You haven't biked until you've done it in Seattle

I got into road biking a minute while ago and I've loved every minute of it. There's something startling about being outdoors with the wind blowing past your face as you're headed downhill at full speed. It's both exhilarating and slightly nerve-racking.

Well, one of the things I love best about biking is that you de facto can see all the gorgeous places colse to you. A lot of times when you drive, you don't get a occasion to take all in, but with a bike, you're still going slow enough to see all (at least I'm going slow enough).

Well, if you're like me and love to see the scenery while you bike, then Seattle is definitely a place that you're going to want to bike sometime in your life. I first visited the Northwest before I was in to cycling and I though that it was just a gorgeous city, very worthy of its nickname as the Emerald City.

Well, after I visited a few times, I kept noticing that there were tons and tons of citizen biking. There were more citizen biking there than any other city I had ever been in. Because cycling is very favorite in Seattle, the city has done a lot to help make sure cyclists have what they need to ride safely. While there is a lot that still needs to be fixed, there are a lot of bike-friendly places to ride.

One of my favorite places to bike is the Burke-Gilman trail. This is a gorgeous trail that runs through Fremont, a great quirky minute town that you have to visit next time you're there.

Even though biking is popular, there are some things that you'll have to be sure and remember the next time your there. First of all, Seattle weather isn't probably like the weather where you're visiting from. There is a lot of rainfall and rain not only makes the roads slick, it creates poor visibility for both bikers and drivers. You'll want to pay extra concentration when you're biking in the rain.

Another thing to remember is that just like any other big city, there is a lot of traffic and not every road has bike-friendly shoulders or bike lanes. I've heard of a few citizen getting seriously hurt or killed when racing down a hill, only to run into a car that pulled out a minute too far into the intersection, not giving the cyclists a occasion to stop.

As long as you're rigorous and observant about what's going on colse to you, though, you should be fine. Be sure to enjoy the scenery.

Biking in Seattle - What to Watch Out For

0 comments:

Post a Comment